Weed, Dogs, and Miracles... We're definitely not in Alpine anymore

*just so you all know, Ashley suffers from asthma... and is in a smoke infested city.  If I had known beforehand all the smoke from weed and cigarettes she would be around, not to mention the crime and sketchy people, I likely would have thought twice and intervened.  But...She loves being there with the people and loves her mission: 

 

 



This week has been hilarious. And super spiritually cool. I'll try to go in order of everything that happened.

First of all, Sparks/Reno is very ghetto. They don't have us proselyte at night in certain areas because it gets very dangerous. We constantly smell weed and cigarettes. There are shopping carts everywhere, and people dig through your trashcans.
BUT I LOVE IT!!!

These people have nothing, but they are super cool and super sweet. I also love it when I walk into a home and it doesn't smell like smoke. But we have to thoroughly wash our clothes, because they all end up smelling like smoke after the day is over. But we are constantly giving service, so it's fine.

We also went biking a lot this week, and everyone gave us weird looks because we were in skirts.

Then we met a satanist.
Then we went to a lady's house and told her that we were Mormon, and she just nodded her head knowingly, and said with a smile, "I hate it. I resent it." .... So yeah.

But things also get very spiritual over here. We were teaching a Jew (I know) and I was testifying about the importance of sacrament and repentance. That was super cool and powerful.

Then we had an investigator who had a baptismal date for April 6, but he said that he couldn't give up coffee because he couldn't understand why we had to take it from him. And he would have to start keeping the Word of Wisdom by last Friday to be baptized by that date, so we were a bit down from that.
THEN!
We got a text message from him on Saturday that said "2 days without coffee or cigs", then he bore his testimony in church about it, but he doesn't know everything that he should keep to himself, so he was talking about how the only time that he would pick up a bible was to smoke it, because the paper was really thin and good to smoke. The bishopric was laughing the entire time.

People also always look to the missionaries for the exact scripture that they're thinking about. Brother Mooney will be talking about some random story in the bible and expect us to know which one he is talking about. But it's okay because he has a cute puppy

Everyone has a dog and I have never been happier *cries*

It's also a great conversation starter and then we get into people's houses and meet the rest of their dogs and before they know it, we're teaching them the Gospel *wink wink

The Spirit is so cool. It'll be saying something to me, then Sister Morgan says it outloud, and then we high five. 

Last night we got to help a miracle happen. We felt like we should see this lady named Sarah (we cleaned her house, and we're hoping she'll be an investigator this week), and we just chatted for 45 minutes, and we got to show our personalities. She kind of cursed the sky and said, "These are my missionaries." She has the greatest sense of humor. She also said, "If you ever do something dumb, I'm sorry. Because it's my fault, because I probably encouraged you." She is my favorite, and she was asking if we had any palms for palm Sunday, and no... we did not. But she also asked if there was anything we could help on her light bill, and we told her that we would talk to our bishop. We got into our car, called the bishop, he said he could help, we called her, and she started crying and asked us to come back so she could hug us. She has gone to all other churches, friends, and family, and no one would help her. She said she would make us tea, then we suggested instead hot chocolate, and she said she could do hot chocolate.

I love my mission, and I see my testimony grow each time I study or go out.
I highly encourage it.

When in doubt, read Mosiah 23-24. That's a good one.

...and then if y'all want to send me cookies or something

I love you all, and I love getting pictures and nonsense!

Did I mention we're teaching a drug dealer?? His name is Walter. He's hilarious and only has a few teeth. But he loves the church

QQs:
 "Are you Mormon?"
"No, he died along time ago." - Sister Morgan

"The only thing worse than a cold toilet seat is a warm one." -me

*with all sincerity of my heart* "Do you know that Joseph Prophet was a Smith?" *spits for 10 minutes and investigator can't stop laughing while my companion and Brother Mooney scold me*

*talking to God in prayer* "-because who doesn't like meat on a stick?" - Gordon

"What kind of stories do you know from the Book of Mormon?"
Little kid: "God."
"Yep"
"Jesus"
"Yep"
"Dinosaurs"

"These are my missionaries"

"What's better? Adoption or arseny?" - Me

"That's going in your quote book."
"No it's not."
"Yes it is because everything that I say is hilarious." - Sister Morgan

Please pray for Eric, so that he may be able to make his baptismal date, and please pray for Donna's health. She was coughing up blood this week and she got a priesthood blessing. And please also pray for Sarah and her situation.

You are all amazing!
I love you!!!!!!!!

Comments

Popular Posts